Today has been grey, cold, wet and exactly what the end of the summer shouldn’t be. Driving home tonight I decided to cook something full of summer colours and flavours. Luckily there were some bright fresh tomatoes and discounted premade pastry for sale.
You will need
- Shortcrust pastry. It’s easy to make but I cheated
- Enough tiny sweet tomatoes to fill the dish
- A handful of basil
- A mozzarella ball
- Salt and pepper
- a smear of garlic (I used the stuff in a tube)
- Oven on at 180 oC
- Line the tin with pastry (3mm thick roughly)
- Chop basil fine and scatter evenly
- Half the tomatoes and arrange
- Smear a little garlic around
- Scatter over torn mozzarella
- Salt and papper
- Bake for about 20 mins until golden
Sweet, light, rich but ready in minutes. Served with a green salad with a sweet sharp dressing.
- The tomatoes leaked a lot of liquid leaving a soggy sage, I should have grilled them hard with a little butter first
- Too much cheese. I’m amazed I’m writing this.
- Not enough basil (I’m not surprised by this)