Pork mince isn’t very diet friendly, but it is delicious and a little goes a long way. I have a lot of dried lemon peel left from an experiment (to be blogged) so I thought I’d combine the two.
This looks complicated but it actualy fairy easy, just takes some time.
You will need
- 250g pork mince
- A heaped tablespoon of dried lemon peel
- A huge handful of parsley
- 4 ripe tomatoes
- 2 peppers (I used a red and a yellow one)
- A red onion
- Pasta to serve
- Soak the lemon peel in a splash of hot water for a few hours. Use as little as possible, you’re avoiding any extra liquid
- Half all the vegetables and pop in a metal tray under a red hot grill
- Whilst they’re blackening, mash the pork, lemon and fine chopped parsley
- Once the vegetabes are properly blackened pop them in a blender and pulse until smooth
- Turn the grill off an pop the oven on 180
- Divide the pork into 8 meatballs and pop them into the metal tray (and then in the oven)
- After 15 minutes or so the meatballs should be browned, pour over the sauce and return to the oven
- After 15 minutes the sauce should have thickened and look burnt around the edges. DON’T PANIC. See this note on burnt pans. Leave it to sit out of the oven whist you cool the pasta
- Assemble, scraping off all the good stuck on bits which should now have loosened. I forgot to take the last picture.
Chewy lemon, great smell, sweet sauce, velvet texture.