Years ago I saw a South American dish on TV which involved a double chop (side to side, not 2 bones thick) with the strip of belly attached that was marinades in garlic and other things then deep fried. It looked amazing but I wasn’t really paying attention and I’ve never been able to find it again. However in last months meat box there was a stonking pork chop, so I cracked on.
You will need
- Big fat pork chop with the fat on
- Garlic (I used the cheating pre minced stuff)
- Ginger (yes, I cheated twice)
- A lot of sunflower oil
- Score the fat and the chop deeply
- Rub a teaspoon each of the ginger and the garlic into the chop. I went for one on one side, one on the other
- clingfilm the chop and leave over night
- Unwrap and dry the chop
- Put half a inch of oil into a pan and bring to really hot
- Fry until crispy
Pretty damned good, but the flavour of the garlic and ginger was lost. I had a sugar snap pea and gado gado warm salad with it, it needed something slighty acidic to cut the grease. The fat was tremendous, crispy on the outside, soft in the middle
Next time I’ll marinate for longer and with some chilli. I might try baking very hard and fast (plus a rest) next time.