It’s the time of year when you get lots of discounted soft fruit in the supermarkets which should be labeled “eat today or watch me rot”. This was how I ended up with several huge punnets of English strawberries which I’ve munch though this week. As they were reaching the end of their life span it was time to get them used up in a “fresh jam”, much like a “fresh pickle” it’s less a preserve and more something you make and eat quickly
You will need
- Strawberries. Washed, topped and halved. Nothing that’s gone too squidgy
- An equal weight of pectin enriched sugar (I had 8oz of both)
- A hot little chilli. I grew this one!
- Stick it all in a pan on a gentle heat.
- Stir until the sugar starts to melt
- Let is cook gently bubble away for about 15 minutes until the juice lazily coats the back of a dipped spoon. It should be much runnier than your average jam would be when you take it off the heat.
- Push the heat right up for the last 2 minutes, don’t let it catch. I don’t know why I did this but it looked right.
- Decant into a pretty jam glass, or if you’ve not one of those a handy mug from a very excellent and socially aware dating app.
A little too sharp and too hot at first, a million miles from the over sweet cloying bought crap. I’m going to try some with some grilled meat too when I get a chance. I doubt it’ll keep for long but I’ve clingfilmed the top and stuck it in the fridge.