Pastry is delicious but it is a faff. Much like the Teeny Tiny Cheaty Leeky Goats Cheese Tarts these rely on a hot baking tray and the wonders of fat.
You will need
- Fatty bacon. Roughly half a rasher per quiche
- Leek (I used up some baby ones)
- Half an egg per quiche
- A sliver of cheese per quiche
- Salt and pepper
- Any mixed herbs (I used parsley and thyme)
- Fry the bacon slowly until crisp. Reserve the fat
- Pop a teaspoon of bacon fat into each muffin hole in the tray
- Stick the tray in the oven at 180. It needs to be hot when you add things in
- Slice and soften the leeks. I use some of the green top
- I whisked 3 eggs and 1 eggshell’s worth of milk with salt and pepper, then dumped in fine chopped herbs
- Dice the bacon
- Pull the tray out of the oven and add bacon, leek and a sliver of string cheese to each.
- Add egg mixture to each muffin hole
- Bake for about 15 minutes until risen and coloured.
Much lighter and a quiche, somewhere between a loaded omelet and a souffle. The hot fat cooks the egg in contact with the side of the muffin tray quickly so they retain their shape.
I served with a dressed green salad.