I saw this on Smitten Kitchen a few years ago and was reminded about it this week (a retweet I think). The original recipe discards the skins of the cucumbers to create a much subtler colour and flavour. I’m not a subtle person, so I included the lot. I also made a cordial rather than straight lemonade. It mixes well with soda water with a roast chicken Sunday lunch and I imagine it will be brilliant with gin and ice.
You will need
- 2 large cucumbers
- A bag of unwaxed lemons
- About a cup of sugar
- Wash everything. I bought waxed lemons by accident so I poured a kettle of boiling water over them and rubbed dry with a tea towel
- Dice the cucumber to make blending easier, then blend until smooth.
- Sieve the juice.
- Zest the lemons (I threw a lime in too). I used the mandaline for speed.
- Juice all the lemons
- Bring a small amount of the cucumber juice to the boil and disolve the sugar. Let cool.
- Mix everything. Refrigerate. I imagine it keeps about a week.
“It smells like Wimbledon”. 1 to 8 with soda water is excellent. I’ve yet to mix it with gin but I can’t see it going wrong.