Spiced pineapple slices
I love fresh pineapple. Recently we’ve been eating it in salsa a lot (grill until blistered, mash with chilli and corriandar), and it made me thing of something I heard years ago but can’t source, that ripe pineapple is great with salt and chilli powder. I’ve no idea where I heard it and can’t find anything online, so I figured I’d just try it. Next time (and there will be a next time), I’m going to try fresh slices habinaro chillis.
You will need
- A fresh pineapple (mine was a touch over ripe)
- Hot chilli powder
- Sweet cinnamon
- Sea salt
- Slice the pineapple right across into rings about an inch think
- Sprinkle each one with a good pinch each of sea salt, chilli and cinnamon
- Stack them all up again and leave on a plate in the sun for an hour
- Slice each piece into 8 for each eating
Super sweat, with an extra bite, the salt seems to make it even more juicy and the acid/chilli combination leave a burn on the lips.
Seen here with a large ginger beer and a small cat, on the first sunny afternoon of the year.