I love beef rib, but it does best when given a long and slow cook. At some point I’ll get round to doing some in the BBQ but until then, slow cooker it is. I completely forgot to take pictures of this as I was making it, sorry.
You will need
for the beef
- A potion of beef ribs. I had about a kilo, including the bone.
- Juice of a lime
- Zest of a lime
- A stick of lemon grass (fine grated or smashed up)
- Heaped desert spoon of garlic
- Same of ginger
- Same of chilli (I cheated and used pre-minced in a jar for all the above)
- Heaped teaspoon of Thai basil (jarred, again)
- A slug of light soy
for the salad
- A fresh cob of corn
- A carrot
- A handful of sugar snap peas
- Heaped teaspoon of peanut butter
- A good slug of lime juice
- Same of seaseme oil
- A small spash of fish sauce
- Black pepper
- Marinade the beef in all the other ingredients over night in a tight plastic bag in the fridge
- Stick it all in the slow cooker along with a mug of water on low for 8 hours. Try to arrange the beef bone down, fat cap up.
- Slice the corn off the cob, the pea pods into 3s and the carrots into sticks (I made th mistake of rounds, looks ugly and too big)
- Mix the dressing ingredients well, stir into the veg.
The beef falls off the bone but has a spiced crust. The salad is too crunchy and sour but goes brilliantly with the beef.
I got too much lime juice in the salad dressing. A potion of noodles stirred through the salad would have been excellent. The carrot was way too chunky.