It’s that time of the year (that most wonderful time of the year) where you can completely justify eating comforting food.
YES - I said it again - the weather is rubbish, everything seems to be terrible and it’s totally justified to eat pork, carbs and cheese baked in meaty salty delicious stock.
You’ll need you a frying pan that can go in the oven.
You will need
- Enough potatoes to fill your frying pan, finely sliced (I used a mandolin)
- About 4 slices bacon, diced
- a small onion, sliced
- A chicken stock pot, disolved in half a pint of water
- Hard italian cheese, grated roughly, about a big handful
- Butter, four slices
- Stuck the oven on 180
- Put the bacon and onion in the frying pan with a touch of butter on a medium heat
- (Now is a good time to slice the potatoes)
- Once the bacon is cooked and the onion is softened tip it out to a bowl
- Return the pan to the heat, add a touch more butter and start laying the potatoes, try a nice pattern
- Build a couple of layers, then scatter over a handful of onion and bacon
- Repeat until you’ve basically filled the pan. It took 3 layers for me
- Let it cook for a few minutes so that the bottom layer fries
- Pour over the stock and turn up the heat
- Once the stock is boiling turn off the heat
- Pour over the stock
- Scatter the cheese on the top
- Add the butter to the top
- Stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes until everything is crisp and most of the liquid has boiled away
Super savoury, just a bit too salty, great combination of textures. My second helping came with sauerkraut and spicy chutney.